Praying around the Diocese

Welcome to a new weekly feature of the NNE, a  brief profile on Maine congregations featured in this week’s Diocesan Cycle of Prayer. Learn more about each congregation by visiting its website and please remember to keep them in your prayers.

Visit the 2012 Cycle of Prayer here.

19 August ~ Pentecost 12

St. Bartholomew’s, Yarmouth

St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church is an inviting and inclusive community. We celebrate our connections with one another and all of God’s creation. We strive to be leaders in the stewardship of the earth and social justice. Through creative liturgy, life-long education and spiritual inquiry, we seek to gain depth and energy for ourselves, our children, and for our service in the wider world.

In 1973, a group of people began to meet for worship under the part-time guidance of the Rev. Harold Hopkins. The Diocese felt that St. Bartholomew’s would fill a geographical gap between the long-established churches of St. Mary the Virgin (Falmouth) and St. Paul’s (Brunswick), and that it would provide an alternative style of worship within the Episcopal tradition. Literally a “church-in-a-box” for the first two years, we borrowed space in other local churches and schools. In 1988 a timber-framed church was built. This year, under the leadership of the Rev. Nina Pooley who has served as Rector since 2007, St. Bart’s is undergoing a renovation to make room for its growing and vibrant congregation.

St. Saviour’s, Bar Harbor

St. Saviour’s Episcopal Church is the oldest, largest and tallest public building on Mt. Desert Island.   Both the Church and the Rectory are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

The church is named for the French Jesuit Mission, “Saint Sauveur,” which was established on the island in 1613.  However it is spelled, our name refers to Jesus Christ, our “Holy Saviour.” The church was first built in 1871 and expanded in 1886. Today St. Saviour’s is an inclusive Episcopal congregation open and welcoming to all regardless of age, race, finances, ability or orientation.  We invite and encourage all who are seeking a deeper and more meaningful spiritual life to worship and learn with us.  All who seek God are welcome to receive communion at St. Saviour’s. Earlier this summer St. Saviour’s welcomed the Rev. Tim Fleck as its rector.

and the summer chapels –

St. George’s, Tenants Harbor

St. George Chapel at Long Cove (approximately eight miles south of Thomaston, two miles north of Tenants Harbor) has led a split life. For its first 61 years, from 1901 until 1962, it was a year-round mission of the Diocese of Maine. Many of its parishioners were immigrants from the north of England who came to work in the granite quarry on the peninsula. After struggling for many years as a mission in the wake of the quarry closing in the early 1940s, St. George’s became a summer chapel in 1962. Each summer it remains a “sacred spot” for its congregation.

All Saints by the Sea, Southport

The origins of the church of All Saints by-the-Sea go back well over a century. The Rev. John Thomas Magrath served as the Rector of Christ Church, Gardiner, from 1866-1869. While in Gardiner, he and members of his congregation would come to Pig Island (now Capitol Island) for picnics. Mr. Magrath noticed a green hayfield on the east shore of Southport, which his family acquired as a small salt water farm. Since there was no Episcopal Church accessible to the vacationers, the congregation of All Saints by-the-Sea came into being under the leadership of Mr. Magrath. Services were held under the oak trees surrounding the hayfield or in the cottage living room in cold or rainy weather.  In the 1870s, Miss Mary Williamson, one of the Gardiner congregation who had come on many picnics, purchased land to the south of the farm. She donated part of this land for the building of the church which was built in 1905.

St. Cuthbert’s, MacMahon Island

Starting in 1894, services were first held on the midcoast’s MacMahon Island in a little old school house that is no longer standing, and later on a cottage porch or in one of the cottages.

In 1899 it was felt that something should be done towards building a chapel on the island. A meeting was called and four resident clergymen were appointed to a committee to take the project in hand. The Sheepscot Island Company made a gift of land for the use of the chapel. The name, St. Cuthbert’s, was selected for several reasons. First there was no church or chapel of that name at the time in the United States. Also St. Cuthbert spend a large part of his life on an island, Lindisfarne, of the Northeast coast of England. St. Cuthbert was a man of large heart and it disturbed him to have anyone go hungry. One day when a boy came to him begging for food, Cuthbert looked up to heaven to pray. A hawk overhead dropped a fish which he gave to the boy.

12 August ~ Pentecost 11

Prayers for all participants and leaders as they prepare this week for diocesan youth ministries’ BION teen camp.

The 70+ campers participate in a range of activities, from swimming to ultimate Frisbee to arts and crafts to drama improv, as well as participating in focus groups, such as Forgiveness, Prayer, Real Life Dilemmas, The Four Faces of Jesus, etc., and worship making the experience both fun and spiritual. Bishopwood lies right beside the beautiful Lake Megunticook making it the ideal location for the camp experience.

Students live in cabins with people of their age groups, chose from a wide variety of fun activities and focus groups, participate in fun and interesting night time programs and, simply, have a blast. Come prepared to have a great time, live with friends, eat s’mores, and maybe learn something.

Saint Mary the Virgin, Falmouth

The Episcopal Church of Saint Mary the Virgin was conceived in 1890 when General and Mrs. John Marshall Brown had a summer chapel constructed in memory of their daughter, Alida Greely Brown.  As a memorial to honor the 19-year old who had died a year earlier in Switzerland, the modest summer chapel was constructed on a small parcel of the Brown’’s land on Falmouth Foreside, then mostly a rural summer colony. The granite structure in Normal style was inspired by the parish church in Iffley, England, also dedicated to Saint Mary the Virgin.  General Brown, a veteran who had fought in several Civil War battles, including Antietam and Fredericksburg, laid the cornerstone in 1890, thus beginning a vibrant community deeply rooted in love of family and strong Christian faith. With her parents and brother, Alida rests peacefully in the crypt that is below the church’’s sanctuary. The congregation became a parish of the Diocese of Maine in 1927.

In 2012, the people of Saint Mary (see the choir at a groundbreaking ceremony this spring) are in the midst of expanding their church space and capacity. Please keep them in your prayers as they call a new rector to begin serving this fall.

5 August ~ Pentecost 10

The Summer Chapels – Click the links for photos and more information.

All Saints by the Sea, Baileys Island

In the summer of 1908, Amy Katherine Brook was married in the living room of our cottage on Bailey Island which had been built in 1905. The wedding was held in the middle of the day so that an Episcopal priest from Portland and General Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain (a family friend) could come down on the steamer from Portland in the morning and return on the afternoon steamer.

Subsequently a group of summer cottage owners organized the building of a summer chapel that was completed in 1916.

All Saints, Orrs Island

Episcopal services began on Orr’s Island in July of 1894. They were held in the dining room of a boarding house called Bellevue Cottage. The Rev. Elwin K. Smith of Lambertville, New Jersey, conducted the services. An offering made at the last service of that summer constituted the beginning of a fund for the building of a Chapel on the Island. In 1897 two services were held in Moulton’s Ice Cream Parlor, and in 1898 services were held in Seaside Hall. During the years between 1894 and 1900, the plan of building the Chapel was carried out by summer residents.

29 July ~ Pentecost 9

The Summer Chapels – Click the links for photos and more information.

Holy Trinity, Peaks Island  In 1953, when it became almost impossible to make boat and bus connections in order to attend St. Luke’s Cathedral in Portland, Daniel Sullivan (a summer resident and the organist at St. Luke’s who later became an Episcopal priest) offered a solution. He suggested that Bishop Oliver Loring be approached to inquire about the possibility of establishing a chapel for the summer months on Peaks Island. Not only did he enthusiastically support the proposal, but he also pledged financial support. Since it was the Trinity season, it seemed appropriate to name the chapel Holy Trinity.

St. James’, Prouts Neck  In 1875, Arthur B. Homer, the younger brother of Winslow Homer, honeymooned at Prouts Neck. Within several years the clan had acquired ownership of about half of the neck. While the eldest Mr. Homer wished to erect a Union Chapel to serve the needs of all denominations, a group of local Episcopalians, including Bishop Henry Adams Neely, had their way. By 1885 the initial structure of what is now St. James was built for $675. It was consecrated by the Bishop on August 20, 1890 and dedicated to the patron saint of fisherman and “all them that down to the sea in ships.”

22 July ~ Pentecost 8

St. James’, Old Town St. James’, Old Town, first opened for services in 1845 and was deemed a parish in 1847. The present English Gothic-style shingled church was designed by Henry Vaughan who went on to be the initial architect of the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. The Rev. Ann Kidder is the Coordinating Priest at St. James’ and St. Patrick’s, Brewer.

St. Ann’s, Windham   In the summer of 1971, a group of Episcopalians gathered around the dining room table in the home of Bob and Kit Ogg. Jerry Koll, a lay reader, led Morning Prayer.  In November, Bishop Wolf sent the Rev. Graham Pierce, to celebrate the first Holy Eucharist. Having outgrown the Ogg’s home by Easter of ‘72, the fledgling congregation moved to the chapel by the water in North Gorham and, in June ‘73, St. Ann’s was admitted as a mission church by the Episcopal Diocese of Maine. The Rev. Jay Dean became part-time vicar late in 1973 and soon thereafter the Ogg Family generously donated five acres of land for construction of the present church building.

The Rev. Tim Higgins has served at St. Ann’s since 2007.

St. Anne’s, Calais St. Anne’s congregation had its beginning with meetings held in Horton Hall, the second floor of a building on Main Street.  On November 24, 1850, meetings moved to the present location on Church Street, where the church hall still stands.  The church itself, a wood frame structure of Gothic architectural style, was begun shortly afterward, the cornerstone being placed on June 10, 1853.  The plans for the church buildings were furnished by James Renwick, who also designed St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City and the original building of the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C. The Rev. Alice Downs is priest-in-charge.

St. Anne’s, Mars Hill St. Anne’s is a sharing, caring church family, the southern most congregation in the Aroostook Episcopal Cluster. St. Anne’s Mission was formed in 191 and worships in a traditional white New England church building with a spire. The congregation is active in areas of social action and justice supporting the Aroostook Academy and area Battered Women’s Project and takes an active role in the Mars Hill area food cupboard. The Rev. Bob Smith has served the cluster churches for many years.

15 July ~ Pentecost 7

The Summer Chapels – Click the links for photos and more information.

St. Martin’s in the Field, Biddeford Pool Founded in 1912

St. Philip’s by the Sea, Fortunes Rocks  Founded in 1902

8 July ~ Pentecost 6

The Summer Chapels – Click the links for photos and more information.

St. Ann’s, Kennebunkport  Built in 1887 along the ocean to serve the communities of Kennebunkport and Cape Porpoise, St. Ann’s is a very popular chapel that receives hundreds of requests for weddings each summer.  The Very Rev. M.L. Agnew, retired dean of the cathedral in the Diocese of Western Louisiana, has been the summer vicar for many years.

Trinity Chapel, Kennebunk Beach In 1913, Fannie and Ellen Darrach left their private chapel in the woods to the Diocese of Maine. For 25 years it was not used and was hidden in the underbrush.
But on the first Sunday in August 1949, at the request of Bishop Loring, the Rev. Dr. Norman L. Kellett started holding services for the summer months. Click the link above for more.

St. Peter’s by the Sea, Cape Neddick   In 1897 Nannie Dunlap Conarroe made a bequest for the building of a church and Ogunquit Memorial Library.  In accordance with her late husband’s wishes, the church is sited at the top of Christian Hill so that its cross is visible to fishermen at sea.

Trinity Chapel, York Harbor   The origins of Trinity Church go back to 1884 when summer visitors began the construction of a small wooden church which was consecrated in August 1886 and called St. George’s Church. Services were held Sundays in the summer months. By 1903 it became apparent that St. George’s Church was too small and plans were made to erect the present building. The cornerstone was laid in 1908 and the first service was held in June 1910.

1 July ~ Pentecost 5 ~ Independence Day

For Our Nation: Lord God Almighty, give the people of our country a zeal for justice and the strength of forbearance, that we may use our liberty in accordance with your gracious will.

24 June  ~ Pentecost 4

Bishop Steve Lane dedicates the children’s waterfall in St. Alban’s Peace Garden.

St. Alban’s, Cape Elizabeth – www.stalbansmaine.org

The people of St. Alban’s first gathered to worship in 1906.  In 1920 St. Alban’s became a mission of the Diocese of Maine, and in 1949 it moved to parish status.

The Rev. Tim Boggs became the rector of St. Alban’s in 2011.

St. John the Baptist, Brownville Junction –

St. John the Baptist Episcopal Church, Brownville Junction, Maine

A “small but mighty” congregation in Piscataquis County, ME, where genuine Christian community HAPPENS!

St. John’s first welcomed worshipers in 1890 and became a mission of the Diocese of Maine in 1919.

The Rev. Nancy Moore has been vicar of St. John’s since 2001.

The Rev. Peter Jenks at the Episcopal Church of St. John Baptist in Thomaston, Maine.

St. John Baptist, Thomaston – www.stjohnsthomaston.org

Check out the panoramic view here.  Find St. John on Facebook.

The Episcopal Church of St. John Baptist first met in 1867.  It became a parish of the Diocese of Maine in 1985.

The Rev. Peter Jenks became rector of St. John Baptist in 1992.

2 responses to “Praying around the Diocese

  1. Judith Rice

    I am a member of St. Cuthbert’s (summer) Chapel. Please correct the spelling of it’s location. It is MacMahan Island- NOT MacMahon. Thank you. Judy Rice, Freeport, Maine.

  2. Pingback: This week around the Diocese | NNE

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s